Frequently Asked Questions

You have all sorts of questions. We have all the right answers.

University Accounting Service (UAS) is a student loan billing service provider. We are hired by colleges, universities, and financial institutions across the country to assist with administering and billing of federal and private student loans including:

  • NDSL/Federal Perkins
  • Nursing Student Loans (NSL)
  • Health Profession Student Loans (HPSL)
  • Primary Care Loans (PCL)
  • Loans to Disadvantaged Students (LDS)
  • Nurse Faculty Loans (NFLP)
  • State-mandated loan programs
  • School-based loan programs
  • Private loan programs

We are here to help you understand the terms under which you took your loan(s) and provide solutions for making payments and preventing default.

No. UAS is a student loan servicer and does not own your loan.

UAS does not offer loan consolidations and cannot consolidate your loans because UAS is not a lending institution. Please continue reading for more information on loan consolidation.

Loan consolidation is offered by the Department of Education (federal loans only) and by private financial institutions. Consolidation may be an option if you have one or multiple loans with one or multiple lenders, including federal or private student loan types. Consolidation can offer certain advantages, such as a single loan or a reduced number of total loans. Consolidation can be used as an opportunity to refinance your student loan debt load to reduce monthly payment amounts and/or potentially reduce your interest rate(s). As everyone’s financial situation is different, consumers need to explore companies that offer consolidation services and discover through those companies the best option for them.

When considering the option to consolidate a Federal Perkins Loan into a private refinance loan, be aware that doing so will eliminate the current available benefits associated with a Perkins Loan, such as the fixed 5% interest rate, interest free periods during deferment, and the ability to qualify for cancellation, deferment or forbearance benefit programs. Also, an extended repayment period due to a reduced payment amount means more interest may be paid over the life of the loan.

For information about federal student loan consolidation, go to:

Federal loan status and payment history are reported to a credit bureau per the loan program regulations. Most private loans (account status and payment history) are also reported to credit bureaus on a monthly basis. If you make payments and/or file for benefits on time, your credit report will reflect the on-time activities. If you believe there is something inaccurate on your credit bureau report in relation to an account that is serviced by UAS, please contact our office immediately at (844) 870-8701.

You may contact us

By telephone at: (844) 870-8701
By email at:
By mail at:
University Accounting Service LLC
Po Box 17238
Wilmington, DE 19850

You may also login to your portal account by clicking the login button located at the top right hand corner of this screen.

A non-federal loan funded by a bank, credit union, or other financial institution.

Private student loans can have variable or fixed interest rates.

The interest on private student loans is not subsidized. The borrower is responsible for repayment of principal and interest on private student loans.

Private Student Loans cannot be consolidated into a Direct Consolidation Loan.

Unlike federal student loans, private student loans are not funded or processed by the federal government.

Student borrowers may apply for private student loans. Parents, relatives, and other individuals may co-sign for private student loans as well.

Private student loans do not have many of the repayment and deferment options that are available with federal student loans. Please contact us at (844) 870-8701 to discuss any repayment options that may be available for your private student loan.

Private student loans have a variety of interest rates, payment structures, and lengths of time to repay.

Please login to your portal account. If UAS has a copy of these records, you may find them under Your Loan> View Documents. If you cannot locate a specific record, please contact us at (844) 870-8701 for further assistance.

No. UAS is a third party student loan servicer.

Depending on the type(s) of loan(s) you have, the first payment may be due while you are enrolled (in school), at the end of your enrollment, or after a grace period. The due date of your first payment is determined by the language in your promissory note or loan agreement. Please contact us for specific information about your account(s).

UAS offers the following payment methods:

Online by creating one of the following:

  • A one-time electronic (ACH) payment from a bank account, or
  • Recurring electronic (ACH) payments from a bank account

By Check: If you would like to send a check, make the check payable to your lender and mail it to the following address:

University Accounting Service
PO Box 5879
Carol Stream, IL 60197-5879

Be sure to include your account number on your check and include the remittance section from your billing statement.

Contact us immediately if you will be unable to make your loan payment(s) by the due date. You may send an email to us through this site. Or, call us at (844) 870-8701.

Depending on the type of loan you have, you may be eligible for a benefit such as deferment, forbearance or cancellation.

It is possible the letter or billing statement was sent before your payment was received. To verify the account status and confirm receipt of the payment, you may:

  • Create a login and view information about your account.
  • Call our Interactive Voice Response system at (844) 870-8701, available 24/7.
  • Call us at (844) 870-8701 to speak to a Representative. Our hours are Monday-Friday from 7am-5pm (Central).

If you move, be sure to update your address with us as well as with the U.S. Post Office. You can log into your account (or create a login) on this site and notify us of the change. You also may call us at (844) 870-8701.

It is your responsibility to make loan payments, even if you don’t receive a statement. You can log into your account (or create a login) on this site to view billing statements and account information.

The consolidation process may take some time. Your consolidation lender must process your application, verify the loans being consolidated, and send payments to the original lenders. Or, your loan may not have been included in the consolidation loan. Not all student loans are eligible for consolidation. If you have questions about the progress of your consolidation, please contact your consolidation lender.

Interest may capitalize (i.e. be added to the principal balance of your loan) at designated times specified in your promissory note or loan agreement.

For example, interest may capitalize after a period of forbearance during which interest is accruing but payments are not required.

Yes. When a consumer submits payment(s) for multiple accounts, all of which are serviced by UAS, the consumer may decide to have certain portions of the payment applied to specific loans. To allocate payment(s), you may make a payment on this site and use the "Pay Toward Loan" column to designate the specific portion of the payment that you would like applied to each account. Or, you may call us at (844) 870-8701 for allocation requests or questions.

For your convenience, several options are available to you:

  1. You can login to your portal account which will display each loan for which you are a co-signer or borrower. You will have an option to apply payments among all your loans in a single transactions or you can simply target payments to specific loan(s).
  2. You can call UAS and speak to a representative and they can apply the payment(s) to the loan(s) per your instructions.
  3. You can send us the payment coupon included with your statement with instructions on targeting payments to specific loan(s).

Under the curtailment method, if you make any payment more than the monthly amount due (“overpayment”), amounts which exceed the monthly amount due will be applied to the most recent open statement period and will be allocated to reduce the outstanding principal balance, if consistent with applicable regulations, promissory note or loan agreements. The next statement will bill the normal minimum amount due on the next scheduled due date.

Under the Pay Ahead method, if you make any payment more than the monthly amount due (“overpayment”), amounts which exceed the monthly amount due will be categorized in a “Pay Ahead” status. For the next statement, the system will automatically generate a “Pay Ahead Adjustment” that will be applied to the overpayment amount towards the principal portion of the monthly amount due, with a ceiling of the normally required minimum payment amount or the amount in the Pay Ahead category, whichever is less. Thus, the statement a borrower receives after the first overpayment under the Pay Ahead method may indicate a lower minimum payment due for that month in some circumstances. If there is any remaining amount in the Pay Ahead category after the first “Pay Ahead Adjustment,” it will carry forward to the next statement cycle(s) and repeat the process. Overpayment amounts under the “Pay Ahead” method apply to the principal on applicable loan(s) from the date of the original overpayment, even if a “Pay Ahead” adjustment from a single overpayment occurs over multiple statements.

Yes. There are two options available: Curtailment or Pay Ahead. You can select how you would like your overpayment to be applied:

  1. You can login to your portal account and under Account Settings select how you would like to apply any overpayments.
  2. While making a payment to your loan(s) through the portal account, you can select how to apply overpayment.
  3. You can call UAS at (844) 870-8701 and speak to a representative to discuss your overpayment preferences.

If you instruct us on applying overpayments a certain way, if consistent with applicable law and promissory notes or loan agreement(s), we will apply any future overpayments on your account in the same way, unless you instruct us otherwise.

If we receive no instructions on how to apply any overpayments or if instructions are not consistent with applicable law promissory notes or loan agreement(s), the default method (Curtailment or Pay Ahead) we use to apply overpayments depends on the terms of your loan. If you have any questions about overpayments, please contact us.

NOTE: Your preference will be saved and used on any future overpayments unless you decide to change your preference through the channels listed above.

Many loan programs allow for deferment or forbearance while you attend school at least half time. If your loan type permits this type of benefit, you may need to apply for the benefit by completing a benefit request form. Go to the Downloadable Forms section of this site. Or you can request a benefit form by calling UAS at (844) 870-8701 or by mailing a written request to University Accounting Service LLC, Po Box 17238, Wilmington, DE 19850.

See the Downloadable Forms to help determine your eligibility for benefits.

Seriously delinquent Federal Perkins Loans may be rehabilitated. Under rehabilitation, after nine consecutive monthly payments your account will be considered current and be reported to the credit bureaus and to the National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) as such. Your lending institution will determine the monthly payment amount for the applicable benefit. You may regain eligibility for Title IV financial aid by making six consecutive on-time monthly payments.

UAS personnel CANNOT provide specific account information to anyone, including the consumer’s family – e.g. spouse, parent, or grandparent – unless the consumer signs a release indicating to whom UAS can provide information.

To find a release or authorization form, look in the Downloadable Forms section of this site. Note that authorization must be granted to each loan individually.

A deferment is an authorized temporary suspension of repayment that can be granted under certain circumstances. To get a deferment, you must apply for it and meet the qualifications. While not required, you can continue making payments without penalty even if no payment is due. If you are willing but unable to make payments and don’t qualify for a deferment, you can request forbearance.

Forbearance allows payments to stop temporarily or decrease in amount for a specific length of time. Your lender may grant forbearance of principal, interest, or both. With forbearance, you are always responsible for repayment of accrued interest charges. Any unpaid interest will capitalize (or be added to your principal balance) at the end of the forbearance period (if not Perkins).